History of Our Church

South Bushwick Church dates back to November 1851 when it was organized. On September 6, 1852, construction began on the present building at 855 Bushwick Avenue and its cornerstone was laid. The church was then dedicated on February 27, 1853. On January 29, 1854, the church installed its first pastor, Reverend John S. Himrod, for whom the street adjacent to the church would later be named. In 1968, the church complex was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.